New Boston, Michigan
2.9K views

We bought a "silver" lab puppy from Wicks Silver Labs (Pat Wickliffe-breeder) in Dec 2011.Five days after having her home she started losing the fur on her face.

We had her tested for manage at our local vet, testing was negative for manage ($75) . The fur loss progress in patches over her entire body. We notified Mr. Wickliffe regarding the hair loss.

He replied that he had contacted all the other owners of our pup's litter mates and none were having any problems with fur loss.Mr. Wickliffe stated that in 11 years of breeding our pup was the "first" puppy that had ever had fur loss. He recommended using an ointment that is used on horses and Nu-Vet vitamins. Mr.

Wickliffe advertises Nu-Vet vitamins on his site. He has a designated code that you use to order the vitamins with. By using this code, Mr. Wickliffe gets a commission for the sales.

Not to mention these vitamins are extremely expensive. As the fur loss progressed (keep in mind we had only had her about 3 weeks), we decided to take our pup to Michigan State University Veterinary Clinic, which is considered the best possible place in Michigan to take your pet with difficult health issues. At our first visit at MSU vet for the fur loss, we also found out that our pup has an inverted vulva. This condition can cause chronic urinary tract infections and usually has to be corrected surgically ($?).

Mr. Wickliffe professes that he has been breeding for over 10 years and he didn't know that our pup had this vulva defect. Any quality breeder would know and should know about this defect and either not sell the pup or at the very least inform the buyer. Shortly thereafter our pup started urinating blood, we had to take her to urgent care and was treated for urinary tract infection ($347).

Keep in mind that this is still within the first 3 weeks of owning our pup. At our first visit at MSU vet another set of skin scrapings for manage were taken and found to be negative. MSU vet recommended that we take a "watch and see" approach and if the hair loss continued to return in a month and have skin biopsies done ($157). The fur loss continued at such a rapid rate we returned to MSU vet and saw a dermatology specialist vet.

Three punch skin biopsies were taken under local anesthsia with stitches to close each biopsy site ($200). The skin biopsies were positive for genetic-color dilution alopecia. Prognosis was that the fur may grow back completely, however she may lose her part or all of her coat in the future and if she does it will be permanent. The good news is she has grown her coat back with the exception of one of the biopsy sites.

The bad news is that now we sit on pins and needles wondering if she will lose her coat in the future. Mr. Wickliffe was emailed throughout this whole process. He stopped responding to us after the second email was sent.

We called the Clark County Humane Society to see if Mr. Wickliffe had ever had any complaints against him. We were so frustrated that he would not respond to us, we paid $1000 for a "healthy" pup and he wasn't going to honor his health warranty. Well Mr.

Wickliffe finally responded to me by phone, when the Humane Society showed up at his door. He called me screaming at me about the Humane Society. I found out from the Humane Society that he did not have a kennel license. He did not have a vendor license-which is required in Ohio so he can pay sales tax to the state.

If he isn't paying sales tax, one would have to wonder if he pays state and federal income tax on his inferior puppy profits.? Mr. Wickliffe was finally reached by phone and agreed to replace our pup- but that our pup would have to be "put to sleep most likely". Mr.

Wickliffe further stated that he didn't know when he would have a "replacement" puppy. ??? We should return our pup (which we have bonded with and spent a lot of money on already), so he can have her euthanized and we can wait for him to provide us with a new pup! He doesn't even return emails let alone a new pup!

The last email that Mr. Wickliffe sent to us stated that he knew that I was "going to be nothing but trouble" after I picked up our pup at his house. Why because I asked questions? Because I had a gut feeling that this guy was a scammer.

I should have followed my gut and walked away from the transaction. I wasn't impressed with him or his "breeding" dams and sire (one male to six females). One dam had completely lost her entire coat. He told me that "she always blows her coat after having a litter".

He did not allow me to have any contact with the parents or litter mates. He further stated that my husband and I are not welcomed on his property and if we come to his house, we will be considered "trespassers and the proper authorities will be called". Seriously, trespassers! I wasn't a trespasser when I had that cold hard $1000's of cash in my hand.

He stated he would only communicate by email (that's funny dude, you don't even return emails )! Mr. Wickliffe treated us disrespectfully and worse yet he could care less about our pup's health and well-being. In his last email he stated 4 times about our pup being put to sleep.

He plays on people's emotions and counts on that to solve his poor breeding problems. Mr. Wickliffe use to have the buyers name, city and state by each puppy he sold on his website. I emailed one of these buyers to let them know our problems and all of a sudden the names and addresses of buyers disappeared off his site as did his address.

He then added "alpaca" (which should have been "alopecia" and any quality breeder would know that) was not covered under the health warranty.

Interesting to me.I would NOT recommend that anyone buy a puppy from Pat Wickliffe at Wicks Silver Labs or Blue Jean Bullies.

Had an Experience with Wicks Silver Labs?

Comments

We bought a silver lab 3 years ago.Don't waste anymore money on testing.

My puppy too was the only puppy who loses her fur. She had a poor coat when we purchased her from another breeder. She has never had an under coat and from doing a lot of research it Appears she has CDA color dilution alopecia. There really isn't a protocol but to give apple cider vinegar, fish oil, vitamin a and melatonin.

I have been doing this for almost a year and her coat has been great until the shedding season and she is bald again. It is so upsetting! From what I have read, this is prevalent in diluted colors.

Wish I had known.Google color dilution alopecia...good luck!

Why don't people research anything before they get pets? Or adopt a perfectly good dog from the shelter-skelter for way less than $1000??

Thank you for your information.

There is NO SUCH THING AS A SILVER LAB!!!!Black, Yellow and Chocolate only!

These poorly bred Designer Dogs have these problems due to having Weimaraner genes in them, alopecia is common in that breed. Purebred Labradors DO NOT have the gene that cause dilution naturally! It comes from cross breeding! Buyer beware, don't let what happened to these uninformed people happen to you!

No such thing as a silver lab!True Labrador people will and always will uphold this fact!

Dallas, Texas, United States #997990

Sorry but what do you expect when buying from a puppy mill?

Cranford, New Jersey, United States #905417

It's "mange", not "manage".

Finding a reputable breeder is huge when looking for a lab.Any breeder that makes you uneasy is probably a scam.

Also, please remember, there are three colors of labs, black, yellow and chocolat, not silver or red, or anything else.Sorry you got scammed, but even sorrier for the poor dogs being bred wrong!

Monroe, Michigan, United States #640325

Thank you Dustin and/or friends for your 35 bu@@sh@@ votes.Facts don't lie and I have the medical records from Michigan State University Vet Hospital to prove it and many pictures of the genetic train wreck you bred.

The only reason that you don't honor your so called "warranty" is because so many people have or are having health issues with a dog they purchased from your "kennel". It would bankrupt you if you actually did the right thing and refund buyer's money. Wicks Silver Labs also "breed" English Bull dogs, under the name of Blue Jean Bullies Kennel.

Which they sell as high as $5K.Do not buy a dog from this puppy mill operation.

I owned a chocolate for only 11.5 years , after the first year he started to lose his coat.My vet said it was a meat allergy.

I fed my dog Iams fish and potatoe dog food for the rest of his life and he never lost his coat again.

It was very expensive, because it is a perscribion dog food.Hope this helps someone.

Wisebuyer- If you "did research" and got such a wonderful dog (4 years ago) from Pat Wickli$$e,

THEN WHY DIDN'T WE GET THE SAME THING????

Your comment makes NO SENSE which isn't surprising.